Tuesday, July 23, 2013

(23-07-2013) Springsteen & I: readers discuss their love for Bruce H0us3


Springsteen & I: readers discuss their love for Bruce Jul 23rd 2013, 12:22

To mark the release of a new documentary about Bruce Springsteen and his fans, we asked readers to tell us what it is they admire about the star

The mark the release of Springsteen & I, a new documentary featuring self-recorded footage from some of Bruce Springsteen's many dedicated fans, we asked readers to send us their stories about how they came to love The Boss and his music.

Here are a few of our favourite submissions, kicking off with a video from Dave Lambert, who won tickets to see Springsteen & I and a Springsteen CD set thanks to his effort.

Reading on mobile? Watch the video on YouTube

Born to Run

"I was at University, but lived with my parents still. I wanted to go away to Uni but unfortunately for me it was cheaper to stay at home. The course I was taking was not that inspiring, I had just been dumped by my girlfriend … so I was feeling sorry for myself.

I remember lying in bed thinking that life was uninspiring, and I needed to change something. I was listening to the radio and then something happened – Born to Run came on.

As the song played I could feel the lift in my mood and my energy. I remember how powerful his voice was, how the sound blasted out of the speakers of my puny sounding clock radio; but it sounded great! As I listened on towards the end I remember thinking 'I need this album more than anything else right now.'

I practically ran out of bed. I couldn't get that album quick enough! All my previous demotivation seemed to disappear and i was caught up in the excitement this song had brought me. Ever since I have been a massive Springsteen fan and I always remember how I was pulled in at that moment. Truly, a great feeling." Mark Taylor

His ability to make Rock and Roll more than just music

"For most rock and roll bands the party comes after the concert is over; for Bruce the party is on stage with his fans. His performances bring out the deepest emotions from people and leave them itching for more. If Bruce feels he isn't getting the feedback he wants, he does not just leave the stage disappointed, he plays harder and with more passion until members of the audience have no choice but to give themselves to the music.

It's just the best concert experience one can wish for, and all thanks to Bruce's genius songwriting skills and his ability to connect with his audience. The range of rock and roll he is capable of is breathtaking; listen to Born to Run for an example of refined brilliance, Nebraska shows his depths, and right up to his latest Wrecking Ball for an example of some stomping good tunes.

Not only can he carry a tune, but because Bruce really cares, his music is deep and poetic. The lyrics are beautiful and his messages strong and encouraging. He is a genius." Mikael Fodor

As a writer he has few equals

"Bruce is the outsider who came to be loved by millions. The unpopular kid who's talent and energy drove him to become a true great. As a writer he has few equals, as a performer he has none and he's a great guitar player who leads one of the greatest bands ever." justin3103

Dancing with my Dad

"I heard Dancing in the Dark long before i saw the video. I heard it on the way to school in our beloved but unreliable green Volvo. I heard it in the kitchen. I heard it scratchy on the LP player. It's my Dad, you see, who was the inaugural Springsteen fan in our house.

We'd play the Born to Run album over and over again as he taught me long division on the back of the A to Z. I blame Bruce for my inability to do basic arithmetic – but oh how he has given me so much more in its stead.

My Dad would grab my little six-year-old hands when Dancing in the Dark came on and pretend to pull me up on stage, then we'd dance together like they do in the video. Luther Vandross might have the monopoly on dancing with his father but Bruce is always the soundtrack to dancing with mine." SuperSklar

Just a man living his life

"I was 18 in 1972 when I first heard Spirit In The Night and felt an immediate bond with Springsteen's music. In forty years we have grown older together, he, a friend who seems to be able to put all of my generation's feelings and experiences into words. He may be just a man living his life, but the world would be poorer without him." ID2869404

Read more

Springsteen's fans: 'You believe in Bruce; Bruce believes in you'
As new documentary Springsteen & I is released, Laura Barton explores the extraordinary devotion of The Boss's fans


guardian.co.uk © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

YOUR COMMENT