Monday, July 22, 2013

(22-07-2013) The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns - review H0us3


The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns - review Jul 22nd 2013, 08:00

'I couldn't see any of the humour which Sarah Waters identified. I thought it was all just too strange'

It doesn't really have a point to it. I don't quite know how to describe it, because it doesn't really have a proper storyline. I was never really interested in reading this because it didn't give much information in the blurb. However, all the people who had reviewed the book on the back said really good things about it so I thought that it must actually be good. So I started reading it and I got quite far: it wasn't very good, but I decided I would finish it.

It didn't get better and it didn't get worse: it just started dull and stayed dull until the very end. You can tell it's an old book because of the way it's written. I found that it didn't really make any sense. It was all a bit strange. It not because it was old; it's because at first you think it's about the story of a mistreated young girl but then it turns out it's not. It gets all confusing.

I couldn't see any of the humour which Sarah Waters identified. I thought it was all just too strange. I really didn't like it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. Maybe older people would like it; maybe it's just a book about more than what I understand it's about. But I didn't enjoy it; I wouldn't read it again.

It's not my sort of book. If you want a dull, boring book that makes no sense, then this is the book you might want to read.

Want to tell the world about a book you've read? Join the site and send us your review!


guardian.co.uk © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

YOUR COMMENT